Monday, November 23, 2009

Turkey Time - Gobble 'til ya Wobble!

While Christmas is, and will always be, my favorite Holiday, Thanksgiving is a close second. I love the fact that it's a chance to get together with my family with no gifts involved. It's just about the people you're with and the good food on the table. And in my family, we like our food!

To help ease the schedules (and stomachs) of family members that needed to travel to several different places during this Holiday, a few years back we started doing our Thanksgiving the Sunday before. So last night my family came to my house and we all sat around the table and enjoyed a wonderful meal together. This year was especially special for me because it was the first time that my entire family has been able to sit at one table together. We've never had a big enough table/house to do this before. And even though my house is no bigger than it was last year, I put my thinkin' cap on and came up with a great idea. I borrowed a folding table and chairs from my friend, and because my kitchen/dining area is connected and very open, we were able to line my table and the folding table up end to end and squeeze everyone in. It was somewhat of a tight fit, but I didn't care. It was just so nice to look down the table and be able to see everyone. Here are some pictures that my step dad took while we were scarfing down our food eating.








And yes, the window was open. After baking two pies, one cake and cooking all day...I was burning up. I'm not sure if anyone was cold or not, but I wasn't a gracious enough host to ask :)


The biggest reason for me to give thanks!


My nephew Quentin.


My cousins Jacob and Anna.


My boppy, who I'm pretty sure is the cutest old man ever!


I'm not sure what's going on here...looks like I'm giving someone the evil eye...


The Smallwood family


I am thankful for each and every one of my family members. Each one brings something different to our family and lives. No matter how dysfunctional unique we may be, I wouldn't change a thing!



1 comment:

Danielle said...

That's such a great idea to spread things out so you can celebrate with both families. We've always just chosen one or the other but that definitely gives me an idea for next year and I'm not sure why I've never considered that before.

I recognize the guy in the last picture. Is his name Sean? I think we went to the same school somewhere along the line. Small world!