Friday, February 19, 2010

Fort Maxwell

When I was younger I used to love building forts. My step sister and I would grab every available blanket, sheet and sometimes even towel in the house to build them. We would transform our room into what appeared to be, one giant tent. I'm not sure what it was that made this so much fun. We didn't do anything particularly fun under there, but we both loved it.

While playing with Bailey the other night, I asked her if she wanted to build a fort. She excitedly said yes, even though she had no idea what that meant. I grabbed a few blankets and pulled some kitchen chairs into the living room and started constructing a fort.



When it was finished Bailey was so excited. She still didn't really know what to do with this fort, so I went underneath it and she followed. Once she was in the fort, she was hooked.

"Mommy, it's dark in here, there's no light. Let's make scary sounds."

So we did our best ghost impressions. She thought this was really funny. Occassionally she would let her daddy come in and join us, but she really preferred it to be a girl's only fort. (Or fork, as Bailey sometimes calls it)



She loved the fort so much that she requested we build another one last night. She is the most content kid once we get the fort up. We pretty much do the same things over and over again, but she thinks it's great. Our fort time usually consists of the following:

"Mommy, let's be big gorillas."  We beat our cheasts and make "ooh, ooh, aah, aah" sounds in a deep voice. Then she goes to the "grocery store" (which is usually her kitchen) and gets us bananas to eat.

"Mommy, let's be little gorillas."  We say "ooh, ooh, aah, aah" in a little voice and do the customary hands under armpits monkey move. Then we pretend to pick bugs off of one another and eat them.

Then we usually tell stories. Here's an excerpt of the one Bailey told me the other night.

"Once a time mommy was a princess. She had brown hair and lots of puppies. The end."


We make up songs together and just act silly. I love our fort Maxwell time and I'm glad she does too.


2 comments:

Danielle said...

We love forts in our house too. You should see the ones Colin builds himself. Hey, whatever keeps them occupied!

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

That looks like so much fun! My cousin and I used to build forts when we were little, too. At her house, at the pool, in the yard-- we were fort-fanatics!

Thanks for the compliment on my picture, by the way. You have NO IDEA how many shots it took to get one that I deemed blog-worthy.

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom